Sorry it’s been so long since I’ve posted anything, just got super busy the past month or so. I was in California for one of my best friends wedding, then came home for a couple days and went up to Maine with L to spend a week with his parents at a rental house. Feeling like I need a vacation from my vacations! I’ll definitely write a post soon about the wedding I was in, the bridal party was a crazy, fun bunch. I’ll give you a small teaser…we all jumped in the pool during the reception for an impromptu trash the dress session! This last weekend I got into a baking mood so I looked through my Pinterest boards to see what I felt like making and saw a recipe for a Lemon Blueberry Bread from Erica’s Sweet Tooth that I knew I just had to make. I didn’t have any blueberries, but I did have a brand new bag of frozen strawberries so I thought as a last hurrah to summer I’d make a Strawberry Lemon Bread (gluten free of course). I also messed around with a couple of the ingredients since I didn’t have them and needed to make it gluten free.
For the Bread
- 1 1/2 c _ 1 tbsp all purpose (gluten-free) flour, divided
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 c heavy cream (Original recipe called for 1 c plain yogurt)
- 1 c sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tsp lemon zest (I only used one lemon, but it was a pretty big lemon and I estimated)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 c vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 c strawberries, chopped, fresh or frozen (Or you can substitute for blueberries or almost any fruit you’d like)
For the Lemon Syrup
- 1/3 c lemon juice, fresh or pre packaged (I ran out of lemon juice so I did a mix or fresh and packaged)
- 1/3 c sugar
For the Lemon Glaze
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 3-4 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×5″ loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the heavy cream (or yogurt), sugar, eggs, lemon zest, vanilla, and oil.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix the berries with the 1 tbsp of flour that was set aside and gently fold them into the mixed batter. Note: I only just learned that you add flour to berries so that the juice doesn’t go all over the batter and turn it colors. See my recipe for the chocolate raspberry breakfast loaf…it’s purple…oops.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake 50-55 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Important: Let the bread cool 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. If not then it’ll turn out like mine did…the whole top fell off…I’m not the best baker but hey it tastes good so who cares how it looks 😉
- While the loaf is cooling, combine the lemon juice and sugar (for the lemon syrup) in a saucepan over medium heat. Continually stir until all the sugar has dissolved, and let it sit on low heat for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Use a toothpick to poke holes in the tops of the loaf and brush with the lemon syrup. Continue to brush the loaf until all of the syrup is added.
- Next you’ll make the lemon glaze; whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice and pour over the top of the loaf. Let the glaze harden before eating…I know I know… that takes a ton of self-control, but you can do it!